Clear all

[Solved] ver 1.1, page 25, Charge

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greymorn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Are all advanced actions also complex actions? you might want to define 'Basic and Advanced Actions' on page 24 after 'Standard and Complex Actions'.

Anyway ...

'The attacker may move up to double his Base Move and then make a melee attack at the end of the move. The move must result in engaging the target in close combat ...'

Makes perfect sense. Exactly what I'd expect. You might want to have a minimum distance for it to count as a charge.

'... and the attacker suffers a Disadvantage for moving.'

WTF? Charges are terrifying and deadly. If anything I'd expect you to have advantage, and maybe the defender has advantage against you too if he is braced for the charge.

'Alternatively, the character can make a ranged attack at Disadvantage at any point during the move and does not need to end the move engaged in close combat.'

I really don't understand the purpose of this option or why it would be called a charge. You already have tactical options baked in to double-move or move and fire.

Overlord
(@scribe)
Reputable Member Admin

Basic Actions and Advanced Actions are two separate sections of the rules and each action is defined. Whether an action is Basic or Advanced has no bearing on whether or not it is a Complex Action.  An action is only a Complex Action when the rules specifically state that it is so...

For example, if you run it is a Complex Action because that is listed on the Actions table. If you Full Attack, it is a Complex Action because it states "As a Complex Action..."

The terrifying charge you are referring to comes into play under Mounted Combat.  In this case, the attacker has Disadvantage because they combined a Move Action and an Attack Action into one action, the Charge. Without Charge as an Advanced Action, you would not have that tactical option. If you make a Move Action and then an Attack Action, without Charge, it is two actions and you have none remaining for defense. Similarly, if you wanted to take two Move Actions to cover double the distance, you would not have an action left to attack. You can, of course, do all of those things if you wish, but each yields different results.

Scribe of the Adventure System

(@greymorn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have no problem with an Advanced, Standard action that lets you combine movement with an attack. I have a strong, visceral dislike to calling this action "Charge". It does not look like a charge. It does not feel or act like a charge. Aesthetics matter.

I really expect a proper charge to be more likely to inflict damage both ways, as long as the defender is prepared. (Maybe a delayed attack action?) Advantage would be a good fit, with the extra damage die only if you are mounted. "Charging" in only to miss because of disadvantage is a HUGE buzzkill for me. It's not even like he blocks with his shield or actively resists my charge, I'm just very likely to flat-out miss.

A related area needs clarification. Safe to assume a large part of your audience will have played 5E, and may only have played 5E, so they will read your rules through that lens. They will expect/assume you can use part of your move, attack, then complete your remaining move like you can in 5E. Am I correct that this is definitely NOT an option in your rules? Seems like if you take the Move action you must complete it before taking any other action. (Including Defend? Hmmmm ...)

If that is true, your current "Charge" action could be renamed "On The Run" or something like that and allow the move-attack-move option people expect from 5E. This would expand it to allow move, MELEE attack, move. You'd need to work out if you would be Exposed when moving away, I'd guess yes.

That would let you re-write Charge into something that actually feels and works like a charge.

Overlord
(@scribe)
Reputable Member Admin

Visceral dislike respectfully noted.  That said, the rule will remain as it is for the following reasons;

1. It is mechanicaly sound and functional.
  2. It cannot grant Advanatge because it then becomes unbalanced; it also then says, running at someone actualy makes it easier than standing toe-to-toe which does not mechanically make sense.
  3. If you miss, you miss. The why you miss is purely descriptive, but it is not accurate to state the target has done nothing. A character's Defense represents their defensive actions in combat. No one is assumed to be standing there like a target dummy. A Defend Action is simply a more focused attempt to thwart a well aimed or consequential blow that results from a successful Attack Action.
  4. Lastly, the term "charge" means "to rush forward and attack" which is, in fact, exactly what you are doing.

Scribe of the Adventure System

Share: